Tibin Thomas is a Ph.D. candidate under the guidance of Dr. Pallab Sinha Mahapatra. He is currently working in the broad area of condensation on textured surfaces. He has completed B-Tech and M-Tech in Mechanical Engineering from College of Engineering Trivandrum and IIT Gandhinagar in 2013 and 2016 respectively. Later he worked as a Senior Project Fellow in Indian Institute of Space Science Technology, Trivandrum. His research interest includes two-phase heat transfer, surface engineering and its applications in energy, environment and healthcare, water harvesting, water management fuel-cell, molecular dynamics etc.
Vapor condensation process is ubiquitous in numerous natural phenomena and industrial technologies such as power generation, desalination, water harvesting, food processing, thermal management of electronic devices, environmental control. Depending on the condensation behavior on different surfaces, it is classified into filmwise condensation (FWC) in which condensates exist as film and dropwise condensation (DWC) in which condensates exist as distinct droplets. It was found that heat transfer during the dropwise mode of condensation is higher than the filmwise mode of condensation. The dropwise mode of condensation is widely observed in hydrophobic surfaces; however, it has a lower nucleation rate. The enhancement of condensation heat transfer relies on a higher nucleation rate and efficient condensate removal. Our overall objective of this research is to develop engineered surfaces for atmospheric water harvesting systems and other phase-change applications. This research focussing on
- Wetting and coalescence dynamics on a condensing textured homogenous surfaces
- Role of hierarchical textures and its effects on condensation phenomena
- Development of low cost surface fabrication methods for enhanced condensation rate
- The condensation study on a heterogeneous surfaces with wettability patterns
Tibin M Thomas and Pallab Sinha Mahapatra, The effect of hierarchical textures on superhydrophobic surfaces during condensation (In preparation)
Tibin M Thomas and Vinod Narayanan, Convective Heat Transfer between Liquid Argon Flows and Heated Carbon Nanotube Arrays using Molecular Dynamics. Journal of Applied Fluid Mechanics 12, no. 3 (2019): 971-980.
- Thomas, Tibin M., Pallab Sinha Mahapatra, Raman Vedarajan, and Ranjan Ganguly. "Multiphase Flow its Application in Water Management and Harvesting in Fuel Cells." In Two-Phase Flow for Automotive and Power Generation Sectors, pp. 249-285. Springer, Singapore, 2019.
- Tibin M Thomas and Pallab Sinha Mahapatra, Effect of condensation behavior on a textured surfaces in non-condensable gas environment, 25th National & 3rd ISHMT-ASTFE Heat and Mass Transfer Conference (IHMTC 2019), 28-31 December, 2019, IIT Roorkee, Roorkee, India.
Find me @